National statistics on mental health
An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older – about one in four adults – suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. This figure translates to 57.7 million people.
Anxiety Disorders are the most common mental illness*in the U.S. affecting 40 million (18.1%) of the adult U.S. population (age 18 and older) in a given year.
Anxiety disorders frequently co-occur with depressive disorders or substance abuse. Most people with one anxiety disorder also have another anxiety disorder.
Types of disorders -Numbers and percentages refer to adult U.S. population affected:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: 6.8 million, 3.1%.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: 2.2 million, 1.0%.
- Panic Disorder: 6 million, 2.7%.
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: 7.7 million, 3.5%.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: 15 million, 6.8%.
- Specific Phobia affects: 19 million, 8.7%.
- Any Phobia (Social Anxiety Disorder, Specific Phobia, Agoraphobia) affects 36 million (16.3%) of adult Americans.
Bipolar disorder affects approximately 5.7 million American adults, or about 2.6 percent of the U.S. Population age 18 and older in a given year.
Bipolar disorder is commonly misdiagnosed. The average patient receives 3.5 misdiagnoses and consults four physicians before obtaining an accurate diagnosis.
Bipolar disorder and suicide
- Approximately 1 in 5 people with bipolar disorder eventually commit suicide, a rate 30 times higher than the general population.
- 20-50% of people with bipolar disorder attempt suicide **at least once.
- More Americans suffer from depression than coronary heart disease (7 million), cancer (6 million) and AIDS (200,000) combined.
- Approximately 20.9 million, or about 9.5 percent of American adults have a depressive disorder in any given year.
- Major depressive disorder affects approximately 14.8 million American adults, or about 6.7 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year.
- Major Depressive Disorder is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. for ages 15-44.